You must already know that you need a SIM card to be able to use mobile phones. Do you realize that the size of SIM cards is getting smaller and smaller over time? There is even a new type of SIM card called eSIM. Today’s smartphones like Samsung Galaxy S22 supported eSIM. So, what is e-SIM exactly? How to use and Activate eSIM on Galaxy S22? Here is everything you need to know about it.
How to add and activate eSIM on Samsung Galaxy S22
Your Samsung Galaxy S22 includes an eSIM which functions as a SIM card. You can use the mobile network after activating the eSIM or installing a nano-SIM card. To activate an eSIM, follow the simple guide below.
- Step 1. Launch the Settings app and tap Connections.
- Step 2. Tap SIM card manager.
- Step 3. Tap Add mobile plan.
- Step 4. Choose Add mobile plan > Scan carrier QR code.
- Step 5. Use your camera to scan the eSIM QR code
Note: eSIM usage may not be available depending on the region, service provider, or model.
How to switch your current physical SIM to an eSIM
Differing from a physical nano-SIM card, an eSIM is an embedded digital SIM. If you plan to change from a physical nano-SIM card to eSIM, follow the steps below.
- Make sure you have an internet connection.
- From the home screen, swipe up or down to see all the apps you have installed in your device.
- Go to Settings and select Connections > SIM Card Manager.
- Then, tap your SIM card at the top, it usually says SIM 1. Next, select Convert to e-SIM.
- After that, log into your provider account, then follow the on-screen instructions in order to figure out which line you should use.
- Read the pop-up notification about the temporary disconnect and click Continue.
- Finish the process of switching your current physical SIM to e-SIM by tapping Confirm.
- Your physical SIM card will be turned off once your eSIM has been activated. So that you can remove it from your phone.
How to use dual SIM on your Samsung S22 series
You can customize the SIM card settings and activate or deactivate installed SIM cards in the SIM card manager menu. Launch the Settings app and tap Connections > SIM card manager.
- SIM cards: Activate the SIM card you want to use and customize the SIM card settings.
- eSIMs: Activate the eSIM.
- Preferred SIM card: Specify which SIM cards you want to use for specific features, such as voice calls, when there are two cards activated.
- Auto data switching: Set the device to use another SIM card for data services if the preferred SIM card cannot connect to the network.
- More SIM card settings: Customize the call or eSIM settings.
What is eSIM?
SIM is the abbreviation of Subscriber Identity Module, which is a telecommunication identification and also your personal number. SIM cards store various types of information, usually related to the network that you are using, such as the area code and card identification number. On the other hand, e-SIM is the newest format of SIM cards. It does not come in the form of a card. Instead, eSIM comes in the form of a chip that is integrated into the device.
So, it cannot be removed or replaced. So that when you buy a number in the form of an eSIM, you will not get a physical card, but you can already connect to the provider and get a phone number. This makes everything more practical. eSIMs are tiny so that you can also use it for your smartwatch.
Those are the steps to activate eSIM on Galaxy S22 as well as how to use it. So, do you already use an eSIM or still use a physical SIM card?